Don't Worry.... Be Happy

Followed by whistling and Jamaican beats... This was a favorite song of mine many years ago. 
"Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......"
source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/dontworrybehappylyrics.html

However fun the song is, it does have some Biblical truth to it. Matthew 6:25-34 tells us that we have no reason for worry.... unless....

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Unless.... unless we are seeing ourselves as the source of provision for the needs in our lives, then we have  reason to worry.  In Sarah Young's devotional Jesus Calling, she writes, "Who is in charge of your life? If it is you, then you have good reason to worry."  What does worry do? Worry about anything only causes stress in our lives, and it takes our vision off of God and places it onto our problem, our lack, our fear. The Bible clearly states that there is no fear in love. And since God IS Love, then there can be no fear in him. When we put God as priority in our lives and we place our dependence on him then perfect love casts out all fear. (1 John 4:18) 

In Max Lucado's book Max on Life, he answers a reader question about if it was ok to ask God daily for the necessities that we must have to make it through each day. To him he quoted Luke 11:3 “Give us each day our daily bread” from the Lord's prayer. He assured the reader that not only does God promise to provide our needs but that it is ok to ask God about it also. Then he ends by saying, "So don’t worry; be prayerful. God has something wonderful for us baking in the oven. Can you smell it?"

This MUST be a point that God is making sure I hear loud and clear this week, because I have seen this theme repeated in nearly every devotion, scripture and sermon I have read/heard in the last 48 hours. Even when picking a random sermon to listen to yesterday as I got ready for the day, Pastor Robert Morris was speaking about Jehovah Jireh... "God our PROVIDER."

SO, okay God... I hear you. You will provide. The job... the finances... the food... the clothes... the shelter... the wisdom... the peace. 

I listed more scriptures below that talk about God's provision. 


Habakkuk 2:1, 3
I will climb my watchtower now, and wait to see what answer God will give to my complaint.
But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!


Psalms 4:8 (NLV)
I will lie down in peace and sleep, for though I am alone, Oh Lord, you will keep me safe.


Philippians 4:11-13 (NLV)
Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty, or want; for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ Who gives me the strength and power.


Psalms 37:8-11 (NLV)
Stop your anger! Turn off your wrath. Don't fret and worry - it only leads to harm. For the wicked shall be destroyed, but those who trust the Lord shall be given every blessing. Only a little while and the wicked shall disappear. You will look for them in vain. But all who humble themselves before the Lord shall be given every blessing, and shall have wonderful peace.




Proverbs 3:5-6 (MSG)
Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
   don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
   he's the one who will keep you on track.
Don't assume that you know it all.
   Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
   your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor God with everything you own;
   give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
   your wine vats will brim over.
But don't, dear friend, resent God's discipline;
   don't sulk under his loving correction.
It's the child he loves that God corrects;
   a father's delight is behind all this.


John 14:27 (AMP) Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]


Philippians 4:6-7 (MSG) Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. 

Psalm 34:17-18 (MSG)17 Is anyone crying for help? God is listening,    ready to rescue you.  18 If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there;  if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath. 


Hebrews 13:5-7 (NLV)  Stay away from the love of money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never, never fail you nor forsake you." That is why we can say without any doubt or fear, "The Lord is my Helper and I am not afraid of anything that mere man can do to me." Remember your leaders who have taught you the Word of God. Think of all the good that has come from their lives, and try to trust the Lord as they do.


Deuteronomy 31:6 (MSG) "Be strong. Take courage. Don't be intimidated. Don't give them a second thought because God, your God, is striding ahead of you. He's right there with you. He won't let you down; he won't leave you." 

 
Isaiah 26:3-4 (NLV)  He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in Him, whose thoughts turn often to the Lord! Trust in the Lord always, for in the Lord, Jehovah, is your everlasting strength.


Isaiah 41:13-14 (NLV)  I am holding you by your right hand - I, the Lord your God - and I say to you, don't be afraid; I am here to help you. Despised though you are, fear not, Oh Israel; for I will help you. I am the Lord, your Redeemer; I am the Holy One of Israel.



Psalm 112:6-8 (NIRV)  
They will always be secure.  
Those who do what is right will be remembered forever.  
They aren't afraid when bad news comes. 
They stand firm because they trust in the Lord. 
 Their hearts are secure. They aren't afraid.  
In the end they will see their enemies destroyed. 



Isaiah 41:10 (NLV)  Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed. I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with My victorious right hand.
  
1 Peter 5:7 (AMP) Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.
  
1 John 4:18 (CEB)  There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear expects punishment. The person who is afraid has not been made perfect in love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DELETE!!!!

Planted

God Texts!