Listening

Have you ever heard a very clear message from God? This is a big topic of discussion in my house lately. "Mommy, how do you hear from God? How do you know that He is talking to me and its not just my own thoughts that I am hearing?"

Wouldn't it be great if God had an iphone? If He texted his answers down from heaven? I saw a cute message on a church sign recently displaying the new sermon series, "What would Jesus Tweet?" Of course, there is one obvious problem.... IF God called us on the phone, would we even recognize his voice?

I know when my daughter calls. Besides her upbeat ringtone, when I hear her speak, I KNOW it is Michaela. I know her voice. And even as close as it is to her younger sister's voice, her tone, her wit, her topics of conversation are very distinctively her own. How do I know it is her withing seconds of answering the phone? Because I have spent the last almost 14 years spending time with her. Getting to know her very personally. I read her stories. Listen to her jr. high drama. Laugh at her quick witted responses. Cry and pray with her. I KNOW my daughter. What a blessing to know hear so intimately at this stage of her life! Each day, I realize what a blessing God has placed into my hands for me to treasure.

My Pastor recently made this connection in a sermon series this past summer. If we know the voices of our family so distinctively, shouldn't we be able to know the voice of our own Heavenly Father? Our Creator?

This morning as I went to a Book by Sarah Young, Jesus Lives, the topic of today was worship. She states that even when our bodies are not engaged in worship, God sees into our heart. That is where worship begins. Then I went to the Psalms where I have been reading for some time now, and I was up to chapters 95-97. All three chapters dealing with worship. In fact many praise and worship songs have been written from these three chapters. Now how does worship tie into listening to God? How does God speak? Through His people, through His Word, through our worship.

So when I speak to my girls tonight at prayer time, I can testify to another way God has spoken to me. I can encourage them that He IS speaking. Even in my busy morning of washing the car, cleaning out the guinea pigs cage and doing laundry, when I got quiet and asked God what He had for me today, He pointed me to His Word, and to a book written by one of his daughters. So, His Word to me today is worship. Even if my body doesn't feel like it can engage, I can worship him from my heart! And as I go about the rest of my day, whether listening to my Gateway worship station while I write this blog, or watching tv while I fold laundry and make beds, I will keep a heart of worship for my King. He deserves no less!

This is one of my favorite worship songs. I pray that it will bless you and set your heart on worship today.
 
http://youtu.be/ojBca7C-d-U

Psalm 95 (The Message)

Come, let's shout praises to God, raise the roof for the Rock who saved us!    Let's march into his presence singing praises,   lifting the rafters with our hymns!  3-5 And why? Because God is the best,  High King over all the gods.  In one hand he holds deep caves and caverns, in the other hand grasps the high mountains.  He made Ocean—he owns it! His hands sculpted Earth! 6-7 So come, let us worship: bow before him, on your knees before God, who made us! Oh yes, he's our God,  and we're the people he pastures, the flock he feeds. Drop everything and listen, listen as he speaks!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planted

DELETE!!!!

Don't Worry.... Be Happy